Search This Blog

Thursday, September 1, 2011

Prewriting AND finding old web pages with The Wayback Machine

While looking for a prewriting map I'd particularly liked and cited earlier on this blog (see "Prewriting"), I saw that the web page no longer existed. After thrashing myself for not having PDFd the page, I remembered a wonderful tool that you should know about if you don't already: You can often find an old web page by using "The Wayback Machine," part of the non-profit project called the Internet Archive. The project takes period snapshots of web pages, going back to 1996. It can be useful for many research projects, such as finding out what a politician really said on his/her webpage in 1997, etc., etc. So I used The Wayback Machine, which fortunately had archived the image I wanted, went to the old page therein, and saved a JPEG of the image:


Creative Commons License
Read, Think, Write, Edit by Gail Young is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.